Please be patient while the applet loads.
The 12 Days Of Christmas
People often think of The Twelve Days of Christmas as the days preceding the festival. Actually, Christmas is a season of the Christian Year that lasts for days beginning December 25 and lasting until January 6-the Day of Epiphany-when the church celebrates the revelation of Christ as the light of the world and reveals the journey of the Magi.
From 1558 until 1829 people in England were not allowed to practice their faith openly. During this era someone wrote "The Twelve Days of Christmas" as a kind of secret catechism that could be sung in public without risk of persecution. The song has two levels of interpretation: "the surface meaning plus a hidden meaning known only to members of the church. " Each element in the carol is a code word for a religious reality.
1. The partridge in a pear tree is Jesus Christ |
2. The two turtledoves are the Old and New Testaments
3. Three French hens stand for Faith, Hope and Charity
4. The four calling birds are the four Gospels
5. The five gold rings recall the torah (Law) the first five books of the Old Testament
6. The six geese a-laying stand for the six days of creation
7. Seven swans a-swimming represents the sevenfold gifts of the Spirit
8. The eight maids a-milking are the eight beatitudes
9. Nine ladies dancing are the nine fruits of the Spirit (Gal. 5)
10. The ten lords a-leaping are the Ten Commandments
11. Eleven pipers piping stand for the eleven faithful disciples
12. Twelve drummers drumming symbolize the 12 points of belief in the Apostles' Creed
You are Visitor No:
Sign my Guestbook!
Read my Guestbook!
Because of robots searching for mail links to use for spam mail, there is NO link to my email address You will have to copy & past the address into your mail program
|Subscribe to yorkieviews2|
|Powered by pets.groups.yahoo.com|