Listed here are items that are found throughout your home everyday, and most pet owners never give it a thought that they can be harmful to their animals. If you just think of your furbaby as you would any other baby it makes sense that the same things are dangerous to both.  I have child locks on my cupboards to keep my cat's from opening the doors and allowing the animals access to my cleaning products and food products.  These are just a few of the things that can happen to your pet, so please make sure that toxic products are locked away.  At the end of this page is a Home Emergency Medical Kit as listed in the Dog owner's home veterinary  handbook. 

 How to induce vomiting

Induce vomiting by giving the dog hydrogen peroxide.  A 3% solution is most effective.   Give one teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight and repeat every 15 to 20 minutes, up to three times, until the dog vomits.

 

Petroleum Products

Gasoline, kerosene and turpentine can cause pneumonia if aspirated or inhaled.

    Symptoms:  vomiting, rapid labored breathing, tremors, convulsions and coma.  Death is by respiratory failure.

    Treatment:  DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. Flush the dogs mouth immediately after contact and take him as quickly as possible to the nearest veterinary clinic.  If you can't get to the vet very quickly, give the dog water or milk (30ml per six pounds of body weight) by plastic syringe to dilute the stomach contents. Petroleum products are extremely irritating to the skin and must be removed as quickly as possible.  Bathe the skin using warm soapy water.

 

Corrosive Household Products

 

Household cleaners, toilet bowl cleaners, bleach, dishwasher detergents, anti-rust compounds, alkaline batteries, drain decloggers and commercial solvents, when ingested can cause burns of the mouth, esophagus and stomach.  Severe cases cause perforations of the stomach and strictures of the esophagus.

     Treatment:  DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. Vomiting can result in rupture of the stomach and burns of the esophagus.  Flush the dogs mouth immediately after contact and take him as quickly as possible to the nearest veterinary clinic.  If you can't get to the vet very quickly, give the dog water or milk (30ml per six pounds of body weight) by plastic syringe to dilute the acid or alkali in the stomach.  With topical exposure, flush the area with water for 30 minutes.

Chocolate

Most dogs like chocolate, but ingestion can be dangerous.  Chocolate contains methylxanthines (caffeine and the alkaloid theobromine).  A dog weighing 5 - 10 pounds could die after eating as little as 4 ounces of baking chocolate. 

Symptoms:  hyperexcitability, vomiting, frequent urination, diarrhea, rapid breathing, weakness, seizures, and coma.     

Treatment:  Induce vomiting, record the type and amount of chocolate ingested. (Sweet and semi-sweet chocolate in candy bars is not nearly as toxic as baking chocolate.)  Call your veterinarian for further instructions.  

 

Onions

The FEEDING OF ONIONS TO DOGS SHOULD BE AVOIDED. Onions contain a disulfide compound that may have an effect on circulating red blood cells. Excess onion consumption affects the red blood cell membrane, causing the membrane to weaken and rupture. This event results in hemolytic anemia, and can be fatal.

 Symptoms of onion toxicity appear from 1 to 4 days after the ingestion of onions. Clinical signs include vomiting, diarrhea, depression, and dark-colored urine.

  Treatment:  Veterinary attention should be sought out if any signs of onion toxicity are present.

 

Grapes and Raisins

Grapes and raisins have been found to be dangerous for dogs also.  Especially small toy dogs because it does not take much to have an effect on our tiny dogs. 

 

Other Household Products

Acetone (found in nail polish remover) -- Vomiting, diarrhea, depression, weak pulse, shock.

    Treatment -- Induce vomiting, give baking soda mixed in water.

Ammonia -- Vomiting of blood, abdominal pain, skin blisters and burns.

    Treatment -- Wash skin with water and vinegar, give diluted water and vinegar orally or 3 egg whites.

Antifreeze -- Vomiting, depression, uncoordinated "drunken gait.  Coma, kidney failure, & death can occur in a matter of hours.

    Treatment -- Induce vomiting, get to nearest veterinary clinic as quickly as possible.  If treatment will be delayed administer activated charcoal to bind to any remaining poison and prevent further absorption.  If charcoal is not available, coat the intestines with milk and egg white using 1/4 cup egg white and 1/4 cup milk per 10 pounds of body weight.  Time is of the essence in this case. The longer you wait, the less chance you pet has of surviving.

Home Emergency Medical Kit
Container for Equipment Cotton Tip Applicators
Penlight Tweezers
Blanket Grooming Clippers
Nylon Leash Needle-nose pliers
Muzzle (Nylon or Leather) K-Y or petroleum jelly
Rectal Thermometer Rubbing Alcohol
Surgical gloves Sterile saline eye wash
Cotton Balls Topical antibiotic ointment
Gauze Pads (3"x3") Stomach tube (optional)
Gauze Roll (3") List of emergency phone numbers
Ace Bandage (3")       Your veterinarian's office
Tourniquet (rubber tubing)       After hours emergency clinic
Adhesive Tape (1" roll)

      National Animal Poison
      Control Center:
 (888) 4ANI-HELP or 
(888) 426-4435

Eyedropper (plastic)
Compressed activated charcoal
(5 grams, #30)

Visit our message board by clicking on the little dog.


 YorkieViews Message Board
 

 
Free Message Forums from Bravenet

Looking for other Yorkie owners to talk to?

Join our list: Yorkieviews list

 

Visitors:

 

Because of  robots searching for mail links to use for spam mail, there is NO link to my email address  You will have to copy & past the address into your mail program

mmyorkies@yorkieviews.com

 

Mystic Moon Yorkies
Valparaiso, IN 46385